Reliance Jio Glass
- Reliance first showcased the Jio Glass back in July 2020.
- Reliance Jio Glass price in India and availability are yet to be revealed.
- Jio Glass weighs just 69 grams and features a sleek design.
Reliance Industries first unveiled the Jio Glass and provided some information back in July 2020. Users were able to test the Jio Glass when the business displayed it at the Indian Mobile Congress 2022 in October of last year. The gadget was once more on exhibit at the Indian Mobile Congress (IMC) this year. The features, functionality, and availability of the Reliance Jio Glass will all be covered in this post.
Before we get started, let me just clarify that the firm has not yet disclosed the Reliance Jio Glass price in India or release date; it is now labeled as “coming soon.”
Reliance Jio Glass specifications
- Display: FHD display for each lens and support TUV low blue light certification and a field-of-view of 40 degrees.
- Sensors: Proximity sensor and 9 Axis IMU sensor.
- Connectivity: Detachable USB-C 1.5-meter cable.
- Speaker: In-built dual stereo speakers and integrated microphone for voice calls
- Compatible Devices: DP-supported phones and tablets (Android, iOS) and laptops (Windows and Mac).
- Battery: 4,000mAh battery, which is claimed to offer four hours of run time in 3D mode
- Experience: Immersive mode, AR Cast, virtual desktop monitor, and virtual PC.
- Dimensions: 174 x 155 x 38mm and weighs 69 grams.
What is Reliance Jio Glass?
Jio Glass is a pair of smart wearable device developed by India-based deep-tech startup Tesseract (which was acquired by RIL in 2019). The AR (augmented reality) smart glasses can be plugged into a smartphone, laptop, gaming console or other gadgets with a USB Type-C cable to screencast content on a 100-inch virtual screen. The content on Jio Glass can be viewed in 1080p.
Talking about the design, Jio Glass weighs just 69 grams and features a sleek design, which should make it easy to wear during long sessions of content consumption.
How does Reliance Jio Glass work?
Jio Glass ships with a USB Type-C detachable cable that can be connected to a smartphone, console, and laptop to view content from the devices on a virtual screen or a Jio Glass in 1080p. When plugged into Jio Glass, smartphones can double up as virtual controllers.
Jio Glass features trackpad controls to increase or decrease the volume as well as the brightness of the screen. The Jio Glass is equipped with dual stereo speakers and this offers spatial audio and a microphone. Reliance’s AR glasses are compatible with prescription lenses as well. The device comes with inserts to hold the glasses.
Switching between AR and VR
Jio Glass features a detachable flap and users can experience content in AR. With the flap on, VR content can be consumed. The AR experience is when the real world is combined with computer-generated content. An AR experience will offer a digital avatar of a cartoon character. This will be overlayed in a user’s real world and in real-time.
On the other hand, VR makes users feel they are immersed in their surroundings when watching content.
Customers can attend virtual meetings through Jio Glass, where 3D holographic images or 2D avatars of other participants will be visible. Jio Glass supports the integration of up to three virtual screens into the user’s workflow.
Customers can also enjoy a gaming experience by connecting a gaming console and PC. JioImmerse will offer customers access to educational apps that cover content such as Mathematics, English, Science and more.
JioImmerse XR Store
The company has also launched the JioImmerse XR Store, which will offer the largest 3D content and app library in India. The XR (Extended Reality) apps include content from JioCinema like movies and TV shows, learning, and gaming apps that leverage VR, as well as JioVerse.